First Call -- You're Invited to TWO Oshkosh Parties!
Jay Honeck
2008-05-07 13:57:24 UTC
Just two months and two weeks until OSH, ladies and gents! We're already
gearing up for two events this year designed by and for pilots:

1. 6th Annual Iowa City Fly-In Pool Party
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm

Hard to believe it's been six years since you guys and gals helped us decide
to build the only aviation themed hotel in the Midwest -- and it's "pay-back
time"! For the sixth year in a row we'll be throwing the only fly-in pool
party in the world, in thanks to all pilots who have helped us make our
aviation dream a success.

Always held on the Saturday before OSH, we'll have food, refreshments,
music, swimming, and hangar flying -- all FREE. We'll have the Penguin
flight simulator set up so that you can practice the FISK approach into OSH
(it's especially challenging after a few beers), and a good time is
guaranteed for all.

We're close enough to walk from the airport -- but why bother? We'll come
fetch you in our courtesy van, and zip you right to the front door of the
inn. Spend a few hours, or spend the night. If we run out of room (which
we do most years), you're welcome to pitch your tent on the property --
free!

Here are some pix from last year's party:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2007_fly-in_pool_party.htm

2. H.O.P.S. Party
Also for the sixth year, our campsite in the North 40 a OSH will serve as
the base for the annual "HOPS" (Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, Student)
rec.aviation party. Put together with the invaluable assistance of this
group's Jim & Tami Burns, Montblack, and Jack Allison, this annual shin-dig
is a great chance to put a face with the names you see in these newsgroups
every day.

Admission is, as always, a 6-pack (or more) of GOOD beer, preferably from
your home-base. Regional micro-brews are almost always met with
enthusiastic approval. Extra points are awarded if you can't see through
it! (Left coast exception: If you're from Kalifornia, regional wines are a
suitable substitute. Just be prepared to take some serious razzing...)

This party is held on Wednesday during Airventure, right after the airshow.
Because aircraft parking is "first-come, first-served" the location varies
each year, but finding us is simple. Just go to the EAA North 40 check-in
station (at the entrance to the North 40) and give them our "N" number or
last name. They will give you our precise campsite number, and vector you
in. (Note: Do this early in the day, or you may be surprised to find them
closed. Randomly finding someone -- even a big party -- in the North 40 is
"needle-in-a-haystack" stuff...)

Here are some pix from last year's party:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2007_hops_party.htm

And from 2006:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/wed_-_north_40_party.htm

And from 2005:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/wednesday1.htm

And, the most famous picture of all, from the very first HOPS Party:
http://tinyurl.com/6599f4

Well, you get the idea. Hope to see you at one or both!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
RST Engineering
2008-05-07 15:41:56 UTC
Regrets from the Left Coast. After 33/34 years of dragging a ton of
aluminum from Kalifornia to Winnebago County Airpatch, Gail and I have
decided that there are other things we want to do with our big summer splash
than OSH. We may make every OTHER year, or every THIRD year, but not EVERY
year.

Sun'n'Fun? Perhaps. Copperstate? Maybe. The fact of the matter is that I
got myself elected (fancy that) to three state positions with the Community
College folks and since last year I've been to conventions in New York
twice, Philly, Los Angeles four times, San Francisco half a dozen times, and
testifying at the Puzzle Palace in Sacratomato more times than I care to
count. Bottom line is that I'm about traveled out and I've still got a
Monterey trip in June, a Los Angeles trip in June, and a Washington DC trip
over the 4th of July weekend.

Besides which, I've gotta pull the prop and send it in for looksee. My
logbooks don't show that prop having been o/h since it was put on the bird
some 30 years ago.

Have one for me.

Jim

Jay Honeck
2008-05-08 00:05:44 UTC
Post by RST Engineering
Have one for me.
Jim
Augh! It won't be the same without you guys, Jim. Your "Apollo Suite" will
be occupied by...others. It ain't right.

Does Montblack still have your Oshkosh chairs? If so, we'll set 'em up in
the circle and drink a toast in your general direction.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
NW_Pilot
2008-05-08 08:28:24 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Post by RST Engineering
Have one for me.
Jim
Augh! It won't be the same without you guys, Jim. Your "Apollo Suite"
will be occupied by...others. It ain't right.
Does Montblack still have your Oshkosh chairs? If so, we'll set 'em up in
the circle and drink a toast in your general direction.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"
I ocupied that room one night!! just before departure in a snow storm was
good room to bright when lights out hahahaha... hope jay keep record of
rooms dont want to stay twice in 1 room hahahaha....
Jack Allison
2008-05-09 05:43:22 UTC
Post by RST Engineering
Regrets from the Left Coast. After 33/34 years of dragging a ton of
aluminum from Kalifornia to Winnebago County Airpatch, Gail and I have
decided that there are other things we want to do with our big summer splash
than OSH. We may make every OTHER year, or every THIRD year, but not EVERY
year.
Rats, you guys will be missed Jim. As for me, I'm opting for the
aluminum tube transport method to keep some of the costs down. I have a
bunch of travel planned over the summer so need to rearrange the AMUs
accordingly.
--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Al G
2008-05-07 15:52:59 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Just two months and two weeks until OSH, ladies and gents! We're already
good stuff snipped...
Post by Jay Honeck
Well, you get the idea. Hope to see you at one or both!
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"
It is a long shot, but I just might make it this year. A friend finished
an RV4, and I have been putting the 25hrs on it. It is for sale, and if it
hasn't sold by OSH, it may go east. If it does, I'll be there.

Al G
Jay Honeck
2008-05-08 00:06:47 UTC
Post by Al G
It is a long shot, but I just might make it this year. A friend
finished an RV4, and I have been putting the 25hrs on it. It is for sale,
and if it hasn't sold by OSH, it may go east. If it does, I'll be there.
Eh? Your friend finished his RV-4, and immediately put it up for sale?

Whassup with that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
2008-05-08 00:47:37 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Post by Al G
It is a long shot, but I just might make it this year. A friend
finished an RV4, and I have been putting the 25hrs on it. It is for sale,
and if it hasn't sold by OSH, it may go east. If it does, I'll be there.
Eh? Your friend finished his RV-4, and immediately put it up for sale?
Whassup with that?
Somes likes to fly, and somes likes to build.
--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com
Al G
2008-05-08 16:22:43 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Post by Al G
It is a long shot, but I just might make it this year. A friend
finished an RV4, and I have been putting the 25hrs on it. It is for sale,
and if it hasn't sold by OSH, it may go east. If it does, I'll be there.
Eh? Your friend finished his RV-4, and immediately put it up for sale?
Whassup with that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"
He's 91, and his knees are so bad he can't get in or out of it. So,
naturally I volunteered to help him out. He buys the gas, and I fly the
airplane. I'm 21 hours into the phase 1 testing(25). It is a dirty, nasty
job, but hey, someone's got to do it. He wants the aircraft to go to
airshows this summer, as advertising, until it sells. If it hasn't sold by
July, he is talking about putting up the fuel for the trip. He has the 180hp
and a constant speed prop, so it is fairly quick. Last weekend I got 170kts
on 8.8gph(8500', 22" x 2400rpm).

He has a Pitts that is ready to be assembled as soon as the hangar is
empty, and a Glastar right behind that. He and his little brother(87) do
this for a hobby. He is an ex airline type, and when he started flying for
them, it was as a co-pilot on a Boeing flying boat, Oakland to Honolulu.

I hope I'm half as sharp as they are in 40 years.

I'm president of our local EAA chapter,495, and have been dreaming of
making the pilgrimage for years. I won't go unless I can fly, and would
prefer to take a taildragger, just to make it fun. I have access to a good
supply of Bogwater Ale, from a small Coastal brewery(It tastes a lot better
than it sounds).

Al G
Jay Honeck
2008-05-09 02:10:26 UTC
Post by Al G
He's 91, and his knees are so bad he can't get in or out of it. So,
naturally I volunteered to help him out. He buys the gas, and I fly the
airplane. I'm 21 hours into the phase 1 testing(25). It is a dirty, nasty
job, but hey, someone's got to do it.
Wow. A guy building airplanes at 91, who then lets you fly it -- for free?

You must've been born under a lucky star. What a great set-up!
Post by Al G
I have access to a good supply of Bogwater Ale, from a small Coastal
brewery(It tastes a lot better than it sounds).
It would have to be! I'll look forward to sampling it...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
Jay Maynard
2008-05-07 16:03:20 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Just two months and two weeks until OSH, ladies and gents! We're already
1. 6th Annual Iowa City Fly-In Pool Party
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm
I won' be able to make Oshkosh, but I'll try to come down for this one, at
least for the day.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
AMD Zodiac CH601XLi N55ZC (ordered 17 March, delivery 2 June)
Bertie the Bunyip
2008-05-07 16:40:13 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
[...]
I'll be the one peeing on your shoes.

Bertie
NW_Pilot
2008-05-07 20:41:56 UTC
I may get to show up this year :) but it may be with a camera crew (I got
something in the cooker about ferrying/exporting aircraft) as for beer well
I think I can do that the you know the Soviet State of Washington on the
left coast has some seriously good micro brews.. lets see how may six packs
I can pack in a Cessna 400..... bawhahaha!!!! New owner wants to ride along
from osh.... to the UAE.
Lou
2008-05-07 23:29:56 UTC
I'll go if Bertie goes.
Lou
Bertie the Bunyip
2008-05-08 03:38:13 UTC
Post by Lou
I'll go if Bertie goes.
Not this year anyhow. Haven;t been in a long time. No much point. It isnt
what it set out to be....

Bertie
Scott
What?!?! It's not an airplane show anymore? ;)
Bertie the Bunyip
2008-05-08 11:18:00 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Post by Lou
I'll go if Bertie goes.
Not this year anyhow. Haven;t been in a long time. No much point. It
isnt what it set out to be....
Bertie
What?!?! It's not an airplane show anymore? ;)
Nope.
In any case, that's not what it started out as...

bertie
Maxwell
2008-05-08 12:00:57 UTC
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Post by Scott
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Post by Lou
I'll go if Bertie goes.
Not this year anyhow. Haven;t been in a long time. No much point. It
isnt what it set out to be....
Bertie
What?!?! It's not an airplane show anymore? ;)
Nope.
In any case, that's not what it started out as...
bertie
Scott, nothing is good enough for Bertie Buttlipp.

Cuz, he knows everything, he knows everyone, he's done everything. But he
never posts a link!
Bertie the Bunyip
2008-05-08 17:05:34 UTC
Post by Maxwell
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Post by Scott
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Post by Lou
I'll go if Bertie goes.
Not this year anyhow. Haven;t been in a long time. No much point.
It isnt what it set out to be....
Bertie
What?!?! It's not an airplane show anymore? ;)
Nope.
In any case, that's not what it started out as...
bertie
Scott, nothing is good enough for Bertie Buttlipp.
Cuz, he knows everything, he knows everyone, he's done everything. But
he never posts a link!
Don't need to,. i don't get my info from Google, wannabe boi.

Time to try a different lame there fjukktard.

Bertie
Maxwell
2008-05-08 17:47:20 UTC
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Don't need to,. i don't get my info from Google, wannabe boi.
Time to try a different lame there fjukktard.
Bertie
You lying retard. You're just like MX. But at least he's truthful about not
being a pilot.
Bertie the Bunyip
2008-05-08 17:54:07 UTC
Post by Maxwell
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Don't need to,. i don't get my info from Google, wannabe boi.
Time to try a different lame there fjukktard.
Bertie
You lying retard. You're just like MX. But at least he's truthful
about not being a pilot.
Oh no! You're saying I'm not a pilot!

Bwawhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwh!

Try another, fjukktard.

Bertie
Maxwell
2008-05-09 02:19:35 UTC
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Oh no! You're saying I'm not a pilot!
Bwawhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwh!
Try another, fjukktard.
Bertie
You act like a 12 year old, and lie about everything else. Why should we
believe you can fly.

Every time a question comes up you have to "check with your guy" and get
back to us. I think your just a bag of shit.

Anyone can look it up. Hell, even your little brother Anthony can do
that!!!!
Bertie the Bunyip
2008-05-09 17:33:04 UTC
Post by Maxwell
Post by Bertie the Bunyip
Oh no! You're saying I'm not a pilot!
Bwawhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwhahwh!
Try another, fjukktard.
Bertie
You act like a 12 year old, and lie about everything else. Why should we
believe you can fly.
Don't.
Post by Maxwell
Every time a question comes up you have to "check with your guy" and get
back to us. I think your just a bag of shit.
Nope. I've done that a couple of times, period.
Post by Maxwell
Anyone can look it up. Hell, even your little brother Anthony can do
that!!!!
Bwqahwhahwhahwhhahwh!

yeh, of course he can.

Bertie
Maxwell
2008-05-10 23:37:46 UTC
"Bertie the Bunyip" <***@AA.AA> wrote in message news:g021sf$6jq$***@blackhelicopter.databasix.com...

Wouldn't life be so much more fun, if you weren't obsessed with having the
last word?

Sick em Squirty Pissdrip.

Jay Honeck
2008-05-08 00:10:18 UTC
Post by NW_Pilot
I may get to show up this year :)
You really should, Steven. I mean, c'mon -- there's FREE BEER involved
here!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
NW_Pilot
2008-05-08 08:31:27 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Post by NW_Pilot
I may get to show up this year :)
You really should, Steven. I mean, c'mon -- there's FREE BEER involved
here!
;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"
Jay, you know I don't mind buying!!! all in fun hanging with cool pilot
friends... i even spring for pizza for motblack he is cool..
p***@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu
2008-05-07 23:46:45 UTC
I'm planning on doing OSH again this year (based out of Milwaukee and driving, I'm afraid). I've got a conference in
Detroit with some of my collegues from Mon-Thurs. Not exactly sure when we're going to bug out, but it will probably be Wed or
Thurs and I'd love to meet up on the North 40. Brew will be of the "home" variety....

-Cory

In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck <***@nospammchsi.com> wrote:
[...]

: :-)
: --
: Jay Honeck
: Iowa City, IA
: Pathfinder N56993
: www.AlexisParkInn.com
: "Your Aviation Destination"
* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, PPSEL-IA *
* Research Associate, Vibrations and Acoustics Laboratory *
* Mechanical Engineering *
Jay Honeck
2008-05-08 00:12:12 UTC
Post by p***@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu
I'm planning on doing OSH again this year (based out of Milwaukee and
driving, I'm afraid). I've got a conference in
Detroit with some of my collegues from Mon-Thurs. Not exactly sure when
we're going to bug out, but it will probably be Wed or
Thurs and I'd love to meet up on the North 40. Brew will be of the "home" variety....
-Cory
Love to see you and that great plane of yours, Cory. (I hope Thielert's
financial burp doesn't throw too big of a wrench in your gears?)

What kind of beer(s) do you home brew?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
Scott
2008-05-08 10:11:58 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Post by p***@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu
I'm planning on doing OSH again this year (based out of Milwaukee and
driving, I'm afraid). I've got a conference in
Detroit with some of my collegues from Mon-Thurs. Not exactly sure
when we're going to bug out, but it will probably be Wed or
Thurs and I'd love to meet up on the North 40. Brew will be of the "home" variety....
-Cory
Love to see you and that great plane of yours, Cory. (I hope
Thielert's financial burp doesn't throw too big of a wrench in your gears?)
What kind of beer(s) do you home brew?
I'll try to find you guys at OSH...I should have a few "homebrews" to
share as well...maybe a stout and possibly a wheat beer. And if I get
really ambitious and get a few more batches done before OSH, an English
IPA...

Scott
p***@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu
2008-05-08 14:32:24 UTC
: Love to see you and that great plane of yours, Cory. (I hope Thielert's
: financial burp doesn't throw too big of a wrench in your gears?)

I've been watching that, somewhat disappointed. I think that's where GA is gonna have to go in
the not-too-distant future.

: What kind of beer(s) do you home brew?

"All of 'em." I've got a couple styles that must be available at all times (Pale Ale, IPA, and
stout). Other ones rotate through for experimental purposes... Wheat beers, Browns, Scottish Ales,
Ambers, Porters, Rye Pale Ales, Bitters/ESB's, Classic American Pilsners, etc. I might be weight-limited
if the third person comes along, but if I make it, there'll be a little variety.

Cheers,
-Cory
Jay Honeck
2008-05-08 15:00:34 UTC
Post by p***@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu
: What kind of beer(s) do you home brew?
"All of 'em."
Right. Your qualifications are clearly superior to all other candidates.
Therefore, the HOPS Party committee has voted unanimously (well, they don't
actually know it yet) to elect you, Sir Cory Pappenfuss, our new chairman
of the "Hops & Grains Advisory Board". This esteemed position's duties
consist of the following:

a) Sit in one of Jim Weir's chairs at the center of the circle of
rec.aviation revelers
b) Sample each regional beer brought to the circle during the HOPS party
c) Rate said beers on a sliding scale of your design and choosing.

Winner of "Best Beer Brought to the HOPS Party" wins a certificate for a
free night in one of our aviation themed hot-tub suites, and any other
prizes that the HOPS party committee may devise. (I'm thinking a bag of
Burns potatoes from Jim & Tami, or perhaps some old Intel chips from Mr.
Allison?)

See, now you can write your entire journey to OSH off as a business expense,
Mr. Beer Consultant....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
Darrel Toepfer
2008-05-08 15:57:04 UTC
So who won last year? ;-)
Jim Burns
2008-05-08 16:12:59 UTC
As evidenced by how fast the Bombay Sapphire disappeared, even AFTER we ran
out of tonic, I think I won. :)
Jim
Jay Honeck
2008-05-09 02:07:11 UTC
Post by Jim Burns
As evidenced by how fast the Bombay Sapphire disappeared, even AFTER we ran
out of tonic, I think I won. :)
Jim
Strangely, I have no recollection of drinking any gin at OSH.

Oh....right.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Your Aviation Destination"
Jack Allison
2008-05-09 05:39:45 UTC
Post by Jim Burns
As evidenced by how fast the Bombay Sapphire disappeared, even AFTER we ran
out of tonic, I think I won. :)
Jim
I vow to make sure we don't run out of tonic this year. By the time Jim
mixed up my G&T, there was way too little tonic. Funny, didn't stop Jim
from making sure the Gin was gone :-)

Jim Burns
Jack Allison
2008-05-09 15:53:41 UTC
Post by Jim Burns
As we had plenty of limes, the G&T's simply became gin gimlets. We'll just
call it a navigational diversion to our alternate as filed. ;)
Forgot about the abundance of limes. So you were two for three in terms
of ingredient quantity...withing PTS standards. The real question is
did Paul have the scooter and if so, why did the lack of tonic continue
to be a problem?

Jim Burns
2008-05-09 16:03:02 UTC
Problem? What problem? lol ;)
Jim
Jack Allison
2008-05-09 16:01:04 UTC
Post by Jim Burns
Problem? What problem? lol ;)
Jim
Ah, let me clarify Mr. bar tender who drinks what he mixes.

For those of us who didn't make it to the G&T line in time....

Obviously Paul made it to the line ahead of me. He's going to claim
that Greg/Graig/*somebody* "just had to have the scooter", ergo he
couldn't head over to Pic & Save for more tonic.

p***@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu
2008-05-09 00:59:50 UTC
In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck <***@nospammchsi.com> wrote:
: > : What kind of beer(s) do you home brew?
: >
[...]

: ;-)

"Pffftsblbpsh...." Sorry, just about spewed my pale ale on the laptop reading this honorary title.....

:-)

Hope the weather holds out on Wednesday...

-Cory
Jack Allison
2008-05-09 05:37:42 UTC
Post by Jay Honeck
Winner of "Best Beer Brought to the HOPS Party" wins a certificate for a
free night in one of our aviation themed hot-tub suites, and any other
prizes that the HOPS party committee may devise. (I'm thinking a bag of
Burns potatoes from Jim & Tami, or perhaps some old Intel chips from Mr.
Allison?)
Lays chips, ok. Intel chips, you gotta by 'em retail. Hmmm, then
again, if you want an "old Intel chip", I could let you have the 90 MHz
Pentium that's in my....keychain! :-)
Post by Jay Honeck
See, now you can write your entire journey to OSH off as a business
expense, Mr. Beer Consultant....
;-)
Sounds like Jay wanted to give up the beer pooh-bah title.